Thursday, November 20, 2008

One Month To Go!

So there is exactly only one more month of staging left before swearing-in. One more month before I can officially call myself a Peace Corps Volunteer. And although sometimes it feels like training has dragged on and on, at other times I catch myself thinking how soon it will be over and the next phase of my PC life will begin. My concept of time has drastically changed since being here, that's for sure.

I don't have much news to report today. I've been busy in village and around town, learning the skills and resources I will need once I'm at site. We have learned how to make enriched porridge for babies using locally-available ingredients. We visited a center that rehabilitates malnourished children and educates their mothers to keep them healthy. We met with a local AIDS support group for women and listened to their stories and advice. We helped weigh babies at our local CSPS in Somyaga.

We have also been busy with classes. French classes for several hours a day. Moore classes (the language I will be speaking) begin next week. We have had classes on first aid, Burkinabe culture, security concerns, malaria, HIV, nutrition, and the list goes on. It is quite a grueling schedule, but the group is all in good spirits. We are still 32 strong and plan to stay that way till swear-in, if we are so lucky. And while there is always a couple people sick at any one moment (myself included at times), it makes you realize how strong you can be. There have definitely been numerous frustrating times, but you have to have a sense of humor with it all. The good always outways the bad. And besides, Thanksgiving is next week! (it is, right?)

No comments: