Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sending Me Mail

This post is meant to be an in-depth guide to sending me mail during my service. While my address is listed under the "Contact Me" tab on the left, there is simply too much info to include everything on the sidebar. This entry is also available under the "Important Posts" tab on the left side of the page for future reference.

While Burkina Faso has a pretty reliable postal system, occasionally problems do occur. So you may want to send me inexpensive things in the mail, since there is no guarantee that these items will arrive. If sending me a package, it is recommended that it be shipped in a padded envelope if at all possible, as boxes tend to be taxed more heavily. Boxes also can be expensive on your end ($50-$100 sometimes), but I will definitely love them. If sending me a postcard, it is best to put it in an envelope or else it might end up on some postal worker's wall. All mail ($.94 in stamps for lightweight letters) and packages can be sent to the following address:

Erik Durant
Corps de la Paix
Ouahigouya 01
01 B.P. 392
Burkina Faso
West Africa

Other tips I have heard to ensure packages reach me include addressing them to "Brother" or "Father Erik Durant," using red ink somewhere on the box, and drawing religious symbols on the outside. Some people, whether religious or not, are very superstitious about this sort of thing. If you want to use any of these ideas, go ahead. It definitely can't hurt.

No matter what, be sure to write "Airmail" or "Par Avion" on the outside of envelopes and packages, or else it could be sent by boat and never reach me. If you plan on writing me a lot, numbering your letters (or at least dating them) will help me keep them in order and know if any become lost in the mail. Also, it is a good idea to include a list in each package you send of everything inside. That way, in case someone decides to open a box, take something, and then reseal it, I'll know what's missing. Speaking of which, if you have to fill out a form describing the contents of a package, try to be as general as possible, such as "educational media" or "personal items", so as to not entice anyone.

PC does not recommend that costly items be sent through the mail. For lightweight but important items (airline tickets, important documents, etc.), DHL does operate in Ouagadougou. If you choose to send items through DHL, you will use the same address as above. (the phone number for the Peace Corps office in Burkina Faso is 226 50 36 92 00 should DHL need this information). You can call a DHL office near you for more information on how to go about this.

If you can't or simply don't want to send me letters or packages, that perfectly fine as well. I won't think any less of you. I always appreciate emails (ecdura at gmail dot com) or posts on my blog, of course. But remember, depending on my internet situation, I can't guarantee a speedy response.

1 comment:

Audrey K said...

Hey!!! I am going to Burkina Faso also!!! We are going to be in the same training class.... I was just searching random blogs and I came across yours and wanted to say hello!