Sunday, February 1, 2009

How Do You Measure A Day?

Yesterday, I measured the day in kilometers, 52 kilometers to be exact. I biked these 52 km, roughly 32 miles, with a group of volunteers to visit the village of Zogoré, where a fellow PCV from my training group lives. They had a huge celebration there as a way to raise awareness of AIDS, with traditional dance troops and even an all-female bicycle race. We each chose a different women to root for, and out of the twenty or so racing, I actually picked the winner. I think I should head to the racetrack when I get back to the States. While there, I met a volunteer from Japan working out of the Ouahigouya area. I was able to practice my crumbling fragments of Japanese on her. It was a lot of fun, and I actually enjoyed the 30 plus miles it took to get there and back. Now let's hope I have the energy to get back to my own village today. I certainly don't have any left to continue this post.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Hey there! I'm starting to get ready to head over to Burkina in June, and am of course scouring the internet in search of PCVs who have posted their packing lists/suggestions. I actually just purchased myself one of those Voltaic backpacks using that sweet sweet discount...that you initiated...? Well done and thank you. :)

Alas...the bag arrived in the mail today and it appears to be a bit ginormous. I'm imagining myself biking to and fro with it, and it seems like it would be better suited for longer trips rather than for day to day travelling. While I would like to be prepared for longer trips over the next couple of years, I was envisioning a more subtle bag. Maybe the smaller one would have been a better purchase. I normally would not be so nit-picky, but this certainly costs a pretty penny...

Having lived in Burkina for the past few months now, what do you think? How has your bag been the most useful?

Thank you in advance for indulging me, if you do get around to doing so. I appreciate it!

Take care, maybe I'll see you around sometime!

Molly

Groupon Clone Script said...

Hi,
I have read your blog and I appreciate the information which you shared here. It is really good read to me.

Thanks
Groupon Clone Software

Buy Cars said...

Hi,
Faljo.com is your online source for Online Auctions, Online Shopping, Car Auctions and much more. Buy and Sell with our Online Auction community today, the World's online marketplace. Just Sign up and begin to buy and sell everything in auction now.

Thanks for sharing!
Buy Digital Cameras