Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In-Service Training

So here we are. Back in training again. I arrived in Ouaga two days ago, along with the nineteen other PCVs in the Health sector. Before that, we were split up for a week among our regional capitals for additional language training, myself and three others spending that time in Ouahigouya. It feels a bit weird to leave village for three weeks after having only been there for a few months and a part of me feel guilty, but I have to remind myself that this training is hopefully making me a better volunteer.

We had dinner last night at the Country Director's home. Nothing short of amazing. I have just one word for you: Mexican. We had tons of chips and salsa, followed by burritos with ground beef, and a great fruit salad with fresh pineapple, mangoes, apples, and strawberries. I ate way too much, but it was completely worth it.

This morning we took a trip to the World Health Organization and had an interesting discussion about vaccination campaigns, mosquito nets, and malaria, among other topics. Each volunteer also had a villager from their sites who arrived today to participate in the training for the next couple of days. My CoGes president arrived without incedent, along with the other counterparts from the Ouahigouya area.

Besides that, not a lot of news to report on this end. It's nice to have some different foods, rooms with fans, and showers for a short while.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

can you leave a present in my cubby? thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik Durant said...

Absolutely. Get excited!