Monday, October 19, 2009

End of Rains

The rainy season has come to an end here in Burkina (at least up north) and we have moved into what is often described as the mini hot season. The green grass has gradually reverted to the dry amber that I remember when we first arrived. Last week was, in fact, our one-year anniversary. It is hard to believe that I have been living here that long and that I only have a little longer than a year remaining to make the strongest impact I can. I am actually ready for the rainy season to be over. While the rainfall was a nice change, I have grown tired of the humidity, mud, flies, mosquitos, and other critters (I woke up this morning to find a praying mantis in my house) that come with it. Just the other day, I almost ran over a two-foot long lizard in the middle of the road.

For the past week or so, my village has been basically empty, as everyone is out in the fields harvesting their crops. So I have had little opportunity to do substantial work lately but I am hoping to begin activities with my primary school soon. The most exciting thing that has happened lately is a celebration in my neighboring village of Youba known as Rasandaaga. I asked several people the meaning of the festivities but everyone said there is no significance and that it is just for fun. Anyway, it is the closest thing to a Burkinabe parade, with several groups of men, women, and children dressing up in traditional clothing and marching around the market while people dance, sing, and just have fun. It was really cool to see, as the market fills with people packed shoulder to shoulder to watch and partake. The following photos are from the fete:

The men leading the parade

A group of men walking and bobbing their heads in unison

People would come and slip money in their hats. That's Burkina's highest note 10,000CFA, equivalent to about $20 (i.e. a lot of money).

Men playing traditional percussion instruments for the women to dance to

The evening winding down. One thing about a parade in the desert - a lot of dust

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Speak for yourself dude, it feels like you've been gone forever!

Maggie said...

that guy with the orange sunglasses is the coolest!!

entrar hotmail said...

I and my friends were found to be taking note of the best strategies on your web blog and unexpectedly got a terrible suspicion I had not thanked the website owner for them. The men were for this reason joyful to read all of them and now have surely been making the most of them. Thanks for truly being so kind and for deciding upon some decent areas most people are really desperate to understand about. My personal sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to sooner.

http://www.horoscopo-diario.com.ar said...

I just cant stop reading this. Its so cool, so full of information that I just didnt know. Im glad to see that people are actually writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it. Youre a great blogger. Please keep it up. I cant wait to read whats next.

click aqui said...

Exercise means more than stops and starts chasing a ball in the backyard. Sign up for my pet blog and let me know if you have questions or concerns regarding your pets. No matter how guilty a dog may seem to act after you find your favorite shoes destroyed, he is really just reacting to your anger without understanding why he is in trouble. Price comparison among the three brands is negligible, with pennies difference between them up or down at any given time. Puppies need to see you keeping them safe while developing confidence with big dogs, little dogs, medium dogs and different hair types and statures