Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Aorèma or Bust

So I've made it. I have finally moved into my little castle in Aorema, about 12 km away. I have yet to take any pictures since I am not completely finished unpacking, buying, and organizing, but soon enough I'll post a few of my furnished crib. I also plan, at some point, to shot a short video tour of where I live but that might come a bit later. I digress...

The move was rather easy, as I expected. I was the third to last person to leave Ouahigouya out us 32 volunteers. My driver helped me load up the van full of my stuff, and we were off. It took about 15-20 minutes to arrive at my village, and we unloaded everything we had just loaded. Some kids were there to help carry my things to my house. I was greeted by the woman in charge of the pharmacy, and soon after, she went and grabbed the keys to my house. These were not really my keys, since once the door was opened, my driver put a brand new lock on the door and handed me the only three keys to my house in existence. He also showed me how to work my gas stove and recommended I clean my filter. Next thing I know, he was leaving dust trails as he sped away. There I was. Alone. Everything to my name in a pile on my porch. No, it wasn't that scary, but there was definitely a feeling of ¨what have I got myself into?¨ as I looked around my new environment. And the fact that my major, the only person I have really met before and my link to the rest of the village, is training in Ouahigouya for several days doesn't ease my worries.

Nevertheless, I began to unpack and get things settled. Christina, my PCV neighbor from the neighboring village came by for a second to say welcome. Sooner than I imagined, it began getting dark, and I still hadn't even put up my mosquito net. So I quickly grabbed some nails and strung a line to hang the net, as ugly as it turned out to be. The next morning I finished with my organizing, as much as a could for the moment. We had a short meeting with CoGes (Comité de Gestion) who I will be working with the next two years to build their capacity. They work with the CSPS, helping to decide activities for the year and funding for sensibilizations (health education activities and demonstrations). Without the major being present, this meeting consisted of brief introductions of the members of CoGes, seven in total, and a quick intro of myself.

Since the major has been absent, our plans to introduce me to the community and important people has been put on hold, so my first few days have been very quiet. Sunday was marché day in Youba, so I went there to check it out. It is actually a really nice market, and I am lucky to have it so close to me. I bought some bread which actually was someof the best bread I've had here in Burkina, so I am super excited to have that available to me. I also bought a canari. I don't know the word in English, but it is basically a terracota pot to store water in. It is called a ¨desert fridge¨ because it can keep water much colder somehow through the magic and sorcery of science. I found a place that can charge of my phone and a place that sells sodas, so I am basically set.

Yesterday, I went to an AIDS sensibilization put on by two women from an organization in Ouahigouya. Over a hundred people turned out to hear them speak. Halfway through, they hand me the microphone and tell me to give them some advice on HIV/AIDS. Ha! You have to understand that most volunteers spend days or even weeks or more planning these things and to be put on the spot like that. I am sure I sounded like a fool, but I was able to say something about how it is possible to live a long life with the virus if you take your medication properly. One of the CoGes members translated for me in Mooré, and people seemed to be receptive. I consider it a small victory that I said anything useful at all.

And today, I pedalled the 45 minutes into town to recap with my fellow PCVs and the world here at the cyberposte. I am sure there are a lot of stories to share. Hopefully, when I return, my major will finally be back, and I can actually start the slow and awkward process of integration. À la prochaine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Erik!
Sounds like your new adventure has just begun. I am sure that the people in your new village will love you just as we love you too.
Take care.
Love Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Erik
Hope you are enjoying your new home. I can't wait to see more pictures. I'm sure people of your new village will welcome your hard work and kindness. Be safe.
Love
your cousin
Tina :)

Social Cadence said...

Sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. We know you will experience some amazing things during the next two years. We will keep up with your blog to follow along with you.
Best of luck.
-Uncle Bob & Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Dude, I just saw a movie I believe you recommended to me: 12 Angry Men. It was fantastic.

Sounds like everything is going great, man. You keep up the good work!