Sunday, December 7, 2008

Randomness

I've just biked into Ouahigouya with a strong head wind to blog, and I've realized I don't much more new to discuss. Tomorrow is Tabaski, a big Muslim holiday, so I needed to come into town also to pick up some sugar for my family - the traditional gift for the day. Tomorrow, there will be a lot of dancing, eating sheep, giving bonbons to the children, praying, and having a good time, so I am excited to join in on the celebrations. I am also here to pick up some nice suit fabric at the market. We have a tailor in the family, so I am going to take the fabric to him to make me a vest and pants for swear-in in about two weeks. I think the fabric and tailoring should cost me about $12 or $13, so a good deal definitely.

Here you can see a picture of me in front of my current home, the mud hut of my brother Sayouba, the one who left for Ouaga. I would have posted a photo of the inside, but honestly it is so small, I could get any good angles at all. Despite its cramped size, it has serves me well for the last month and a half, but believe me, I am more than ready to upsize for my maison in Aorema. I just hate the feeling of living out of a suitcase, and that is what I've been doing. It will be so different when I can actually have a carpenter build me some bookshelves and tables and such. I have felt, living in Somyaga, both a member in the family and a guest in a hotel. It is nothing my family has done, simply the facts of the situation. Before he left, my brother told me ¨Erik, you are becoming Mossi,¨ when I would speak to him in Moorè. The Mossi are the largest ethnic group in Burkina, and the ones who speak Moorè, like the people here. He even gave me a Mossi name: Irisso. So I have definitely felt like family, but you can't help feel like a tenant when your host-mom sweeps your room and brings you your bath water and cooks your meals. It will just be nice to do these things for myself. Not too much longer to go.

On a side note, we saw a snake right where we have language lessons in village every morning - my first snake I've seen in Burkina. The people here are really scared of them, since I guess most of very dangerous, but this one did not survive long. Lots of village kids came with big rocks and severed the head and then the rest of the body. It was still squirming and then my French teacher yelled in panic ¨The heart! You have to go for the head and the heart!¨ As long as they don't bother me, I don't mind the snake. My host brother said he has only seen two all year, so it doesn't seem like a common thing here.

On another side note, the last three days have been the coldest since we have been here. In the mornings, I've heard it has been in the high 50s. Everyone, including the Nasaras (us whities), have added extra layers. I've been sleeping in my sleeping bag the past few nights. Everyone in village here is all dressed up in the heavy winter coats, sitting in the sun, trying to keep warm. I can help but shiver during my daily bucket baths now. It's actaully a refreshing change. It feels like December for once. I hear it only lasts a few weeks though sadly. Anyway, I guess I better wrap this up, not much else to say, and I have the whole day to spend in town. À la prochaine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only you would be discontent with someone cooking and cleaning for you, Durant. Only you.

Merry Christmas, buddy!

Anonymous said...

Hello Erik! So happy for you and all your accomplishments. Words can't express how proud we are of you.We miss you here at home for the Holidays but know that you are on the adventure of a life time. You are in our thoughts and always in our prayers. Take care and will call soon. Love To You, Mom

Candace said...

Irisso!

I love reading your blog, and hope that you like writing it. Wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas! It sounds like you are really happy across the pond. (Can I still use that phrase? I'm using it. IN AN ACCENT. So there.)

All my best, Candace