Saturday, August 16, 2008

HIV Class

On Monday I attended an 8-hour class organized by the VCU HIV Center called "HIV: The Facts." While extremely long (8:30am to 4:30pm), the class actually taught me a lot about the virus I did not know. They covered basic science like T-cell counts and viral loads, counseling for infected individuals and families, and state laws concerning the disease. One of the speakers was a man who has actually living with the virus since '87. Peace Corps recommended studying up on my field before leaving, so this was a great opportunity to learn more. I faxed copies of my CPR and First Aid certifications to my Placement Officer and let him know about the class too. I also asked him when he thinks I should know about an invitation, so hopefully I will hear back from him soon. All this waiting is killing me, but I keep telling myself: patience is a virtue.

Also, there has been a lot of rumors about upcoming programs in Africa on the Peace Corps message boards. Apparently, Namibia is only sending teachers in November, no health volunteers. I thought this was where I was probably going to be sent, but now I suppose I won't be heading there. Also Madagascar seems out as well, since volunteers have received invitations there for September. So far, November invites to Africa have only included Kenya (which is apparently safe again for volunteers) and Lesotho, so these are some new possibilities for me. Who knows? Hopefully, I'll hear back soon (I feel like I always end my posts that way).

No comments: