Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's Always Funny in Philadelphia

So I've got some free time today at the hotel in Philly, and I thought I'd write another short post. I got in at about 10:30am yesterday and made my way to the hotel. I found a couple PCT at the airport, so it was cool to have someone to find lunch with and talk to. We began our extensive information sessions shortly after 3pm with introductions and icebreakers and group activities. It seems like a really good group of people. There are about 30 of us in total, mostly all in our 20s. There are no older volunteers, but there is one young married couple here. The majority of us here are in Health, but there are some doing Business as well. Our meeting lasted till after 8pm, with information about risks, concerns, fears, expectations, and logistics for arriving in Burkina. Afterwards, we split up and headed for dinner, then ice cream and a drink. I called home from the hotel payphones and got to bed around midnight.

I woke up this morning around 6:30am, ate a quick breakfast, then we met downstairs at 7:30 to head to the clinic. I got my Yellow Fever vaccination, as well as my first Mefloquine pill for malaria. I only have to take it once a week, so it's much more convenient than other daily kinds. I definitely felt a little funny from the medication, somewhat loopy, but now it's all good. But let's hope my dreams are not as intense as everyone says they will be. And that brings us to now. I have to be ready at noon to leave, and I still need to repack some things and shower. Until next time (in Burkina this time, I promise).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erik,
Best wishes for a great trip over the pond, and onto the W. Africa. Words cannot express what I have learned from YOU in these 23 years!

Love,
D