Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Blog Motives

So I have already briefly outlines my motivations for joining the Peace Corps. Now, as I sit in my bed still recovering from my first run of the spring season, I thought I should talk a little about my motivations for blogging the next 3 years of my life (give or take a few months). First, I have to say, I think blogs are creepy. I don't need to read about how much you love Hello Kitty, or about which celebrities are in rehab now, or anything like that. I never understood the "MySpace" thing, and I though Facebook was much better a few years ago when it was used just for college students to keep track of each other. That said, I think there is an exception to the rule. I love reading travel blogs. Hearing the adventures of others makes me able to live vicariously through their writings. Somehow the mundane becomes the enthralling when it's written from overseas. It is the next best thing when I don't have the money to travel myself.

To me, PC blogs are like extended travel blogs, only better. Perhaps it is because as my dream of being a PCV gets closer, I tend to stalk others' PC blogs. It is a great tool to understanding what PC life is like, what challenges I will face, what I should bring and overall provides great advice from the field. So by writing my own blog, I feel like I may be helping other people who are considering, curious, or in the process of applying to the Peace Corps.

I also consider myself a writer by nature. While most of my work is comprised of fiction, I've always wanted to try my hand at journal writing. I've just never thought my life was interesting enough. It could be very therapeutic too to have an outlet to share my trials and tribulations, but don't expect much crying and complaining (it's just not me). I also think I bring an interesting perspective to the table. As a student of cultural anthropology, I am fascinated by the social practices and cultures of others. If you continue reading my blog once I'm abroad, I can guarantee that it will be filled with my take on the culture of wherever I go, trying to stay clear of any ethnocentric thoughts as best a westerner can. Who knows? It could be the beginnings of a real ethnography.

Beyond this, hopefully I can use this blog to keep in touch with friends and family. It will be an easy way to let everyone know I am alive and well, as well as share pictures (I love photography, so expect amazing photos) and stories of my new life. As I begin this ginormous transition, it will be more important than ever to keep in touch with loved ones back home. This is still not an excuse to not send me letters, got that? Well, that's all I can think of for now. I hope this blog is helpful, and I hope it doesn't turn creepy.

No comments: