Thursday, April 3, 2008

Where, Oh Where?

For one of my very first posts, I listed out all the possible countries to where I might be headed. I thought it might be useful for some to see exactly where these choices are located. To the left is a map of Africa (duh) with the countries I qualify for highlighted in blue. By "qualify," I mean these are the non-francophone (not French-speaking) nations to which the Peace Corps currently sends volunteers in Sub-Saharan Africa. As you can see, the majority of these are located on the eastern and southern parts of the continent. The darker blue indicates the countries which usually depart in November as I am schedule to leave. The large island in dark blue is Madagascar, and the dark blue mainland country is Namibia. Peace Corps has sent health volunteers to both of these countries in November during past years, so they are definitely possibilities for me. I also heard that Rwanda might be reopened as a possible country of service towards the end of the year, which I am sure would also be an amazing experience as well. I know most people don't study African geography in depth very much nowadays, which the American education system needs to do something about, so I hope this visual helps clarify where I might be serving. And if it doesn't, it at least gave me an excuse to play around with Microsoft Paint for a bit.

(FYI: Tonight's Jeopardy had a category devoted entirely to "African Geography." What a coincidence!)

No comments: